If you are looking for healthy alternatives to commercial cat treats you should know that many of the fruits you eat can also be given as treats to your cat.
As any new food introduced into your cat’s diet, fruits may cause upset stomach issues such as vomiting or diarrhea. If your cat likes fruits as treats you should introduce only one new fruit at a time to help you spot any health changes.
You should take care at the high sugar levels from some fruits if your cat suffers from diabetes.
It’s very important to wash all fruits and remove rinds, inedible skins, seeds, and pits before feeding to your cat.
Here is a list with fruits that are safe and healthy for your cat:
– Apples can be a healthy snack for your cat. You should always peel it, or wash it very well as the pesticides that are found on apples can be more dangerous for a cat than for a human as cats are smaller. Always remove the apple seeds!
– Bananas can be given as healthy snacks to cats. You shouldn’t give banana peels to cats. The reason for this is that your cat’s digestive system might not be able to tolerate it. You should only feed your cats small amount of banana. Too much banana may upset the cat’s tummy.
– Blueberries are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants for your cat. If used in moderation, they’re a cat-safe treat that your cat can enjoy.
– Cantaloupe is a safe treat for cats. It seems something about the smell of cantaloupe is enticing cats to want to eat it! After some studies it seems that melon volatiles may hold the key to why so many cats love cantaloupe.
– Mango is a safe treat for cats given with moderation.
– Pears are perfectly safe for cats if given in moderation. Pear seeds contain chemicals which can turn into cyanide during digestion so they must me removed. It’s also better to peel them because of the pesticides.
– Pineapple. A small bit of fresh pineapple is generally safe for a cat. It contains actinidain and some cats can react negatively to it.
– Raspberries. You can feed your cat a few raspberries from time to time but not too often.
– Strawberries are non-toxic to cats. Although cats can eat them, they offer very little nutritional benefits to them. Strawberries have anti-oxidant qualities that a cat might benefit from.
– Watermelon. Cats can eat watermelon! The seeds need to be removed first, as the compounds contained within them can be very harmful. The fruit ideal for re-hydration for cats. It contains good levels of Vitamins A & C.
If it’s your cats first time to eat fruits, it’s ideal to monitor the cats first. You should watch them carefully as some cats can have allergies at some fruits. Start by giving a vary small slice of the fruit. If they like it, watch them for a couple minutes, and make sure they do not start acting strangely. If they are ok, feel free to give them some more.