Kneading is the motion cats make by rhythmically alternating their paws, pushing in and out against a pliable, soft object. Cats can knead differently some never push out their claws at all, others use all four paws.
There are many reasons why cats knead:
– Cats can knead when they’re being petted.
– Kittens instinctually knead to help stimulate the mother’s milk production.
– Some adult cats forever associate the motion of kneading with the rewarding comfort of nursing.
– They return the affection and telling us they love us right back.
– Cats scent-mark their belongings by kneading their paws onto the surface of an area. Yes, they can mark you also!
– By kneading cats tell us they feel safe with us.
– Cats are real-life massage therapists, sometimes they knead painful areas and they really help!