Some foods which are good for humans, and even dogs, can be very dangerous for cats because of their different metabolism.
Here is a list with foods that you should never feed your cat with:
– Chocolate, Candy and Gum can be fatal to your cat. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are harmful to cats. Some sugar-free candies and chewing gum, as well as some flavor enhancers, can also be fatal.
– Onions and garlic in any form are dangerous. Cats must avoid contact with any part of an onion or garlic bulb no matter whether it is raw or cooked. Cats do not have the enzyme to digest onions and garlic, and consumption can result in digestive problems, liver damage and even death.
– Grapes and raisins can be potential health threats for your cat. Eating grapes and/or raisins can cause the sudden development of kidney failure in cats.
– Caffeine is very dangerous for cats! If a cat drinks tea, coffee or soda, the caffeine in those beverages can cause heart problems and troubles for your cat.
– Alcohol – Any food containing some alcohol is strictly prohibited to your cats. It actually affects the liver function and the brain function of the cats, just like humans. A small amount of alcohol will surely harm your cat. A two-teaspoon of whisky can definitely cause a coma in a five-pound cat.
– Fat Trimmings and Bones – Cooked and uncooked fats are very dangerous to your cat since it can cause intestinal upset, with vomiting or diarrhea. Do not give your cat bones to eat because they cannot chew them properly, thus it can choke them and even lacerate their digestive system.
– Some wild mushrooms are toxic to cats. It is advised you avoid giving your cats any type of mushrooms to be on the safe side.
– Apricot, cherry, peach pits, apple seeds – all of the above contain cyanogenic glycosides which will result in cyanide poisoning. This interferes with the ability of the blood to release oxygen into the tissues, so the cat effectively suffocates while it’s blood is full of oxygen.
– Avocado contains a toxin known as persin. It is found in all parts of the avocado and is toxic to most domestic animals also for cats.